I now have lost over 41 pounds since I started my diet on Dec 14th. For me the Paleo, low carb way of eating has been the best thing I have ever discovered for losing weight. I believe I am converted to the Paleo way of life. I don’t miss bread, sugar, dairy or fast food.
There are all kinds of diets you can choose from, some healthy and some crazy. I am focusing some of these tips over the next few months on little things that I am learning in my own process. That brings me to tip #2
Diet Tip #2 Deny By Serving
Last week I had my sales team over for an annual dinner we have to celebrate this past year in sales. When I do these dinners I make sure that my team, which is fairly large, has plenty of food to eat. This year I had a caterer provide us with a great BBQ meal. On top of that we had a huge selection of cheeses and fruit to snack on before the meal. All together it was a wonderful meal for everyone but a potential trap for me. You see in the past I would really go overboard with the food while trying to be the best host possible. This year I found a secret to maintaining my discipline while at the same time being a great host.
The secret I found was this; Don’t choose to deny yourself, choose to serve others. Really, as hard as that may seem possible, the more I focused on others having a good time, the less I focused on me. In fact I served ribs to people and even poured wine for some, all the while not having any for myself. The whole night I only ate a chicken breast and some green beans with a small salad. I stayed right on my program the entire night and felt fabulous the next morning when I woke up.
The next time you have or you’re at an event that you feel might cause you to stumble, choose to be the person that is serving everyone else. It’s amazing how it gives you a different perspective on everything and the power to say no to yourself.
Have a great weekend!
I have now lost over 36 pounds since I started my diet on Dec 14th. I started this journey at 286 pounds and now I am approaching 249 pounds. This is the most successful I have ever been on getting a hold on being healthy and losing weight. I am learning a lot about obtaining real victory in this area of my life. It’s been a battle I have fought for years! I will be sharing some things I am learning from my experience over the next few months as I head to my goal of being 205 pounds.
Quit trying to start when it’s most convenient
I started my journey two weeks before Christmas on December 14th. I had everything from Christmas Parties to College Football Game Cookouts on the calendar before me. Everything told me to wait until the holidays were over but something said if you don’t start now everything from Pro Football Games to Valentine’s Day will keep you skipping until you are back to this time next year.
We choose convenience when we should choose commitment.
I would love to tell you how I got the strength to make the choice to start then but I really can’t. All I can tell you is that I made the choice and it actually gave me strength as I won the wrestling match with my own will.
Now flash forward to January 27th and I feel invincible. Bring on the Super Bowl, Valentines Day, Daytona 500 and all the other events that would wreck me. You see when I made that choice and won that first battle it gave me strength and that strength was multiplied again as I won again. Nothing makes you as strong as one victory! It leads to other victories.
Diet tip #1 is quit trying to choose when it’s most convenient. If you’re going on a cruise this week it might make the most sense to wait until you’re back home, but if you get the strength to just say no to all the bad stuff and eat leaner while you’re floating in the sea, when you get home you will have a head start to really get into it and win this battle for good.
Champions don’t wait for the battle to be convenient
I will be praying for you today!
This post is just to update everyone that follows this blog that I am continuing to work on changing my life in these areas.
- Lose Weight
- Finish My First Book
- Pursue The Destiny God Has For Me
I started on December the 14th to focus on just one thing. To lose weight! A good friend had come into town and I didn’t even recognize him. He had lost over 60lbs. I asked him how he had did it and he shared the following with me.
The Perfect Diet
- Eat Paleo. There are all kinds of website you can read to learn how you can eat like a “Caveman” or a “Hunter”. I recommend this one Paleo Diet if you can’t find one. Remember even as you look at this sight there is flexibility.
- Eat a Low Calorie, Low Carb Diet. in the beginning. For my size, I began at 6ft 285 lbs, I needed to stay at between 1300 to 1500 calories every day and keep my carbs under 30 net carbs a day.
- Eat Organic. From organic fruits and vegetables to grass feed beef and butter, Organic is better!
- Drink a lot of Water! I am drinking half my body weight in water everyday. Yes, I go the bathroom a lot but honestly I have been living a dehydrated life for years. This one change has made all the difference.
- Healthy oils make up 70% of my daily calories. From Olive Oil, to nuts to Avocado. Healthy fats need to be the largest part of this lifestyle.
- Coconut oil. While there may not be any miracle foods that can do everything, I can tell you that Coconut Oil is a close as you can get to finding one that can change your health. Just read online or listen to what Dr Oz says about it. Coconut Oil Dr. Oz
- Reset my body by being on a ketogenic Diet. Truly burning fat while eating healthy organic food is causing my body to use my own fat to run my body. I recommend this website to learn more. Ketogenic Diet
I have lost 21 pounds in four weeks eating this way, but the most exciting thing is that I have learned that I can eat this way for the rest of my life. Sure, I will add more healthy carbs in later on. but I am loving this food. In short I do not feel deprived. No more insulin spikes and out of control hunger at night before bed. I have replaced bad carbs with things like nuts and Coconut oil. The healthy fats keep me satisfied and keep me from having the hunger cravings that sent me into another bag of chips at 10pm.
I am getting back to my weekly blog next week. I hope this has encouraged someone to make this year the year that you change something in your life. Please feel free to comment and for those that respond that want to make changes this year, I will add you to my prayer list.
According to a survey in the USA Today, 82% of adults dream of writing a book one day. I know that statistic may seem high, but just ask yourself if you have ever desired of becoming an author? If the answer is yes, then you’re just like me and millions of others with the same common dream.
While millions may dream of becoming an author, only a small percentage of those dreamers actually attempt to write and actually have a book published. What is it that blocks most people who dream of becoming an author from actually doing it? There are five roadblocks to why people find a reason not to pursue their dream of becoming a published author. Some never start while others quit before they finish. Here are the five……
- I don’t have time. Personally this has always been my biggest issue. Everytime I try to schedule time, something takes its place and I go another week without writing. I was starting to think I would just have to wait until I was retired and had nothing else to do. The issue of time is best solved by a simple commitment to a planned writing schedule, a writing schedule you can really keep. You may say that you only have 10 to 15 minutes every day during the week. And you may ask “What can you do actually do in 10 to 15 minutes every day for five days a week?” Think of it this way, if you can just write one page a day during that time, during that 15 minutes, then you would have written over 40,000 words in just over 4 to 5 months. Thats plenty enough for your first book! How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time.
- I don’t know if the idea for my book is worthy. You struggle with the idea that no one will want to buy or read your book when its finished. Do you know how many authors struggled with the same idea when they began? Do you know how many famous authors struggled with the same idea? That’s not to say that every book is going to be a Best Seller or will become the next great “Summer Novel”, but you will never know for sure until you try. Talk to someone you trust, someone that knows a thing or two about writing or books. Ask them to give you an honest opinion about your book idea. “In short I would rather live with disappointment than die with regret. You can guarantee that no one will buy or read your book, or you can take a chance that someone might actually want to read it and find out for sure.”
- I don’t know if someone else has already written this book before. While I can almost guarantee you that someone, somewhere at some other time has written a book that is similar to yours, I can tell you that there is no other book around just exactly like the one you are going to write. Books are like Snowflakes, and while they all can look alike, when you get down to the details, they are all very different. Just look at the last book you read and really loved. Open it and find the line or paragraph you highlighted and underlined. You know, the one place in that book that made it worth buying and reading. I bet that story, statement or illustration is not found in any other book in the world. Only if it was a quote or if it was restating something that had been written before, that’s the only time you would see it again in another book. Plus, maybe no one from this generation or from your own regional location has written a book like yours. “Only reprints are copies, yours will be an original!”
- I only want to write and publish a book that is perfect. While all artist are particular, authors and writers can be very hard on their own writing. There are no perfect books in the World! I believe that while there are no perfect books in the world, outside of the Bible, there are actually a lot of good or great books that have found their way to the audience that enjoys them the most. While the statement above does not suggest that there are no bad or poorly written books in the world, the idea of the perfect book is really nonexistent except for the Bible. While everyone should work hard to write the best book they can, including good editing, they should not let the fear of their book not being perfect keep them from writing it and releasing it. “There is a big difference between an imperfect book that is read and a perfect book that is never written.”
- I don’t know where to start at. Today more than ever there are tools and services where people can get help to move their idea into a form and outline that makes sense. With a great starting point and a great map to guide you along the way, you can find the road to becoming a published author easier than you think. There are even editors that can help you through the entire writing process. I know at Xulon Press, where I have worked for the past several years as the Acquisitions Director, we have built in a system that can help almost anyone find where to start. We like to say “It’s our calling to help you get the book that is inside of you out!”
No matter what you do or how you do it, don’t let these roadblocks stop you from moving forward on your dream to become a published author. You can become a published author and no one knows who is waiting to read what you have to say, what you have to write!